Sweet Dreams

Welcome to the nursery! At the top of the house under the eaves, the children of this house must have a very hard time sleeping at night knowing the playroom is a short slide ride from their beds. We added a bannister to stop them dropping down the chute without thinking, but it's anybody's guess as to how much sleeping goes on.

The first thing I made for this room was the moon cradle. I saw it on Pinterest and knew I wanted one here. I used balsa wood to create planks and added wood grain texture because I wanted it to feel like it was made from a crate. It sits prominently in front of the window with its own spotlight to highlight its excellence :).

The changing table was an old dry sink we had used when my sisters and I played with this house. I painted it white, added new knobs, a shelf to hold the lamp, and finished it with a padded topper that matches the fabric in the cradle.


My main focus, though, was the outside wall and the bed units. The window was in the middle of the house, but was not centered on the wall, so any furniture that I added was going to be asymmetrical and I decided that forced perspective (the idea that smaller objects appear farther away) was going to work in my favor. I could make 2 beds that appear to be the same size, but aren't. 

I wanted a landing area under the window because my daughter wanted a flower box outside the window which obviously meant that someone had to get to the window. With a landing area, I had room to add "something" else besides the beds and I chose to add an easel so that the kids could paint what they see outside the window. The squirrel on the canvas is an ode to my daughter whose nickname is Squirrel. I even added her initials to the canvas.

We love it.
 





Comments